I'm uploading the millions pictures I've taken to my flickr account right now, so check them out.
Lets start from the beginning..
Orientation started August 29th and this fucking campus is on a mountain. I have never walked up and down stairs and up and down hills so much in my life. I have been sweating my imaginary balls off. Hong Kong is just humid with no wind to save your life. But that's when tissues come into play. Tissues are God in Hong Kong, they wipe off your sweat and are crucial when bathrooms don't have toliet paper, which happens a lot. The dorms at CUHK do NOT have toliet paper. YEAH, WTF?! I need to go later on to Park N' Shop, our school's grocery store, to buy a bag of twelve. Since I did not want to buy it during orientation because I did not need more things to lug to my perm dorm.
Orientation was just like all other orientations .. pointless, pointless, and just pointless. Hung out with this girl from MA as well who goes to Babson, a girl from Tokyo, befriended two mainland girls, had a German roomate, and did a lot of pointless mountain climbing.
Took the Putonghua (aka Mandarin) placement exam and although I understood all the Mandarin she spat at me I can't read or say a word of Mandarin. So, I'm in Elementary I. As for Cantonese, because it is just an oral class, I supposedly have great Cantonese and the three levels are too low for me. If my shitty-ass Cantonese is too high for even their advanced class, then well, they have fucking low standards.
Moved in our perm dorms yesterday and I really do regret packing so much to Hong Kong. I live in 'Adam Schall Residence' on the United College campus. It is the oldest dorm at this college and every room is a TRIPLE. Yes, I have to share a room the same size as my room at Knowlton with two other people. There's no wireless in the dorms so I need to buy a twenty-five feet ethernet cable. Today the locals moved into dorms and I met one of my roomates, her name is Ronnie.. I think. I got back from the library, said "Hi" and she left the room with her pose of friends. The other roomate left a letter pinned on the board all written in Chinese. I have no idea what is says but probably that she will be moving in on a later date. I suppose. So I am in this room all by myself, I woke up late and missed the Hong Kong City tour so all my friends are at the Peak, and my roomate left two seconds after we met.
me: Hi I'm Tiffany, nice to meet you *brings hand up to shake hers*
her: I'm Rafjsdljfsnnnie
me: Ronnie?
her: Ronnnnnaaeeee .. R-O-N-N-I-E
me: Ronnie
her: Where are you from?
me: United States
her: *nods* Ooohh << LEAVES ROOM
So looking forward to living with you for ten months!
You know the first semester of UMASS I absolutley hated it, I was miserable. But during second term I finally found my niche. After I finally became content with UMASS I come here and I wonder how long, if ever, I will be able to grow accustomed to it. I have till October 3rd to make my decision, do I want to re-sign from my second semester here? Classes start Monday, the 5th!





