WARNING HERE'S A POLITICAL RANT
The Coming Collapse of China by Gordan Chan..
.. Read it, learn it, and acknowledge it.
Although some of the arguments are kind of "WTF IS HE THINKING?!" and may seem sometimes unsubstantial it's brutally honest and a good read. Everyone seems to think that China will only move up and although they are already a world power, where even the US has backed down to them, it doesn't mean it will continue. As much as my cultural pride wants to see China succeed there is just still so much against China.
China is mostly criticized on two issues right now..
Economic reform vs Social reform .. Economically with their 'Special Economic Zones' and campaigns that have opened many of their cities/provinces to the rest of the world as open markets and luring foreign investment in with huge tax cuts and government insurance, China is flourishing at least in Eastern China. But social reform, China needs a lot of social reform but I'm one of the people who wants to allow China time to do so. China is still a 1+ billion people population, it can't change over night. China only started economic reform a little over a decade ago, with SPZs and the Shanghai clique, give it time to spread economically into the interior of China and as the people grow more educated a harsh government will no longer be needed.
Oh yeah, on a side note .. Besides being pro 'give China time for social reform'', I'm also ANTI Free-Tibet. Why? Because without China Tibet would just fall into pieces and everyone would just become poorer then they already are and become yet another 'stan' in Central Asia. Tibet needs China, so the people of Tibet, the Dali lama, and White American celebrities need to, put it blunty, SHUT THE FUCK UP! Yes, China may suppress much of Tibet culturally but I think having food to survive may be more important.
I can go on so much more rants on China, if you want to hear them just ask. Don't I sound so .. REPUBLICAN/CONSERVATIVE? Yeah it is rather scary. Then again I'm the one who had arguments with my history/government teacher for three years, in high school, over Bush. He loves Clinton, I hate Clinton. So I just supported Bush to irritate the hell out of him, he never understood why I would support Bush. Don't get me wrong, I hate Bush and no way do I support his stupidity but I believe Clinton was an even worst president. I really do believe that all of the problems stacked against Bush is because of the mess Clinton left behind for Bush to clean up.
Am I Republican? NO. Am I Democrat? NO.
- I support abortion.
- I support the death penalty.
- I support gay marriage.
- I support big government
etc etc, I tend to sway conservative when it comes to a few social issues. But the only really big conservative belief I follow is that I believe in the death penalty. Sometimes a crime committed does call for the guilty to die for his/her crimes. As for 'big or small government', that's sort of a touchy issue. Normally traditionally conservatives are against big governments and liberals are for. But the during the Kennedy and Clinton administrations was when US government was the smallest, contrary to current Republicans who love big government.
So yeah, should I be placing and betting my future and career on the future of China? In political science I concentrate on International Relations (precisely Asian relations and Asian-Western relations) and in history I concentrate on Asian studies, I plan on studying international law in law school, and I'm spending a lot on time on learning Chinese for my career, besides learning Chinese because well I am Chinese. Two very much needed languages for the US foreign service right now are Cantonese and Mandarin. I want to become a US foreign service political consultant, obviously dealing with China.
Please don't collapse China .. even though this plea is from being selfish, please don't.
That was a good procasination break from my presentation and now I remember why I majored in political science. I've forgotten the past few months. Oh yeah, speaking of learning Chinese .. I'm skipping class tomorrow morning, I don't think my ass will be able to wake up and stay awake in class tomorrow. I can use the extra time to prepare my presentation too.





