profile

god favors no group. only religions do that.

name: tiff
age: 20
location: ludlow, massachusetts
school: university of massachusetts amherst
study: political science, economics, chinese
interests: procrastinating, playing, dreaming

#if i have the right to love, then i also have the right to choose how to love.

pictures

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from missxmoody. Make your own badge here.
travel itinerary

lala

December 04, 2005

i'm listening to: Janice - Big Brother
i'm reading: my elementary putonghua I textbook, lesson 8 baby!
quote of the moment: "When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us." -Alexander Graham Bell

Lesson 8, is the final lesson of the Mandarin textbook .. quiz on it Monday and then the finla is on Monday. Blah, fun. Who knew "yihou" meant 'return'? I already learned all this shit, I just never learned how to read or write Chinese. Well I did learn, just never cared.

Janice has a really good voice .. I love her covers of Leon Lai's songs too. haha, reminds me of my childhood crush on Leon. I wanted to marry him when I was little and well if he was 10/15 years younger I still would. So handsome, he's the quiet and brooding type too. So attracted to that type but I would never date someone like that. I like to be amused, I don't like being bored and to play a guessing game. *sigh* .. Leon, I heart you so much. Okay, I've embarassed myself enough.

Went out with some friends to go shopping today and what do we see the second we walk out of the MTR station? Protest madness. According to the news 250,000 people in HK marched in protest for universal sufferage, a quicker move to full democracy. Right now, the Chief Executive (like the Preside or PM) of HK isn't elected by the people, rather by a commitee and that's argubaly heavily influenced by the Chinese central government.



So yeah, we watched for a few minutes in amusement but just turned around and walked back down to the MTR and figured out new plans. We ended up going to Sogo.. Bought:
- 3 pairs of earrings from Mac Look
- a pair of Dior sunglasses
- tube of Lychee Rose DiorKiss lipgloss
- a cute butterfly Swarovski studded Coach cellphone accessory, pic here

___________

Okay I need to let out a rant, so here it goes.

A few days ago Singapore hung an Australian, Nguyen Tuong Van, after he was caught smuggling herion a few years ago. Supposedly he claims he did to help pay off his younger twin's debt. There has a been this huge uproar about Singapore being cruel, unreasonable, and etc etc. Basically they don't believe Nguyen should have been hung. But excuse me, it's the law and he knew what the consequences would have been if he were caught. Singapore is known for being really strict when it comes to drugs. With the Australian government asking him to be pardoned and what not, just because he's Australian doesn't mean he should be given special privelages. It's like the whole Michale Fay caning in 1994 after he was caught vandalizing. Just because you're American doesn't mean you're not punished for committing a crime in another country.

In the end I think this all comes down to whether or not someone supports the death penalty and I do. Many people argue that the Singapore government is unfair and will only pardon their own people. But in the past forty years Singapore has only given clemency/pardoned six people and I'm not even sure what their crimes were. But compared to the only six pardoned, over a hundred people have been executed for drug related crimes alone in the past six years. So stop bitching that if Nguyen was treated unequally because he wasn't Singaporean.

As much as I hate to see someone so young, who according to his laywers competely changed and became a new man, die and not be given a second chance but he knew what he was doing when he committed the crime. It's hard seperating my human compassion from my politcal believes but hey I'll be a Republican bitch sometimes. I standby the Singapore government and I'm honestly glad that it stood by its laws and did not give in to pressure from Australia, Britian, and the United States. Finally an Asian government that doesn't listen/give in to the orders of a Western country. Quite proud of Singapore, tired of these Western countries and their arrogrant ways. I'm from one of them too, I love the United States!

posted by tiffany at 12/04/2005 12:13:00 PM | Permalink |
chatbox


music

weather

  • massachusetts
  • The WeatherPixie
    links

    Other Blogs:

    Shopping:

    credits

      Distributed by:

    Template copyright :
    V4NY
    Powered by :
    Powered by Blogger