profile

god favors no group. only religions do that.

name: tiff
age: 20
location: ludlow, massachusetts
school: university of massachusetts amherst
study: political science, economics, chinese
interests: procrastinating, playing, dreaming

#if i have the right to love, then i also have the right to choose how to love.

pictures

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from missxmoody. Make your own badge here.
travel itinerary

lala

January 08, 2006

.
.
.



music play list:
* cheer chan - fantastic adventure
* elva hsiao - his and her story
* jolin tsai - repeat signs
* michael kong - fairy tale
* michael kong - little sister
* stephanie sun - believe


Why all Mandarin songs?

Convo with my Aunt Carolina ..
Aunt: If you want to learn Mandarin you need to start listening to more Mandarin songs
me: But the only Mandarin music I listen to is Jay Chou and he just mumbles, I can't hear the lyrics
Aunt: Well, listen to other singers .. either way all his songs sound the same
me: This is true


Every time I go karoke we always have a session of all Jay songs and well we all just mumble along. Jay Chou fans don't kill me .. !!

__________




Picked up a copy of the newest Newsweek with the lovely President Bushie on the cover. There's a short and interesting article inside, titled "We All Have a Lot to Learn."





Basically it discusses the differnet ways different countries and cultures see the importance of education and how education is taught. Explaining the above picture's quote .. supposedly Singapore culture supresses student's from speaking up and expressing their opinions.

"In the American school, when my son would speak up, he was applauded and encouraged. In Singapore, he's seen as pushy and weird. The culture of making learning something to love and engage in with gusto is totally absent. Here it is a chore. Work hard, memorize and test well."

So SG's students test better then the U.S., which isn't shocking because the U.S. always falls into the bottom ten among countries on tests. But why do Americans do better in 'the real world'? The article phrases the American top notch colleges because of the large amount of funding put into them and because they continue to get more and more competitive. However, every year all I read in the news is that every college is trying to deal with funding cuts. Maybe in general the United States puts more money into their colleges but if they continue to cut the funding year and after year .. one, no one will be able to afford to go to college anymore. two, American colleges won't be so "top" anymore.

Also, SG is still an Asian country. SG follows the "model" for Asian education .. all about memorizing and testing. Unlike the US where getting a student to even study or do their homework is completely impossible.

BOTTOM LINE .. Why is Newsweek comparing a country with 4.4 million people (122nd in the world) to the United States with 295 million (5th highest in the world)? .. NO SHIT they'll have less of an impact in global business and economy!

__________


QUOTE IT:
i love you in a place, where there's no space or time.
i love you, for my life, you're a friend of mine.
and when my life is over, remember when we were together.
we were alone, and i was singing this song to you.




I've seen "A Chinese Tall Story" and "Moonlight in Tokyo" the past week. Both are good movies, for the most part. The last 30 minutes of "Moonlight in Tokyo" kind of ruined the movie though. However, Leon Lai .. so incredibily attractive and handsome, even though his character is mentally handicapped and well he's thirty-nine. If only he was fifteen years younger .. I'd marry him! He was my first idol or whatevers, my favorite of the four heavenly kings. This was well over tweleve years ago though. I remember telling my mom I wanted to marry him!



Got the "Butterfly Lovers" musical DVD, hopefully get it signed next Thursday at the autograph signing for the VCD/DVD. Working on a friend to get her to go with me or else I'll just go solo like a loser =D .. I just want someone to go with me so I can get a picture with Denise Ho.



That's right .. Ranma 1/2 DVD set for season 1 in Cantonese dub!! My older sister and I loved this anime when we were little. It's the only anime I can watch without falling asleep too. Grasping onto those childhood memories. My sister and I have been looking for this in Cantonese dub. The thing is there's going to be seven (I think) sets, I'll need to send them home because I'll have no suit case space. I came with two packed suit cases and the things I've bought in HK have already taken up one. What to do? I'm throwing away a lot of clothes.



Chinese New Years is coming up at the end of the month, all the malls in HK are taking down all their Christmas decorations and putting up stuff for the New Years. My first Chinese New Years with other Chinese people, it will be interesting to see how they celebrate. I'm not sure if I want to go to the night markets though, they're packed! Far worse then Tsim Sha Tsui on Christmas Eve.



Been reading a HK magazine called "Milk" a lot lately, well I can't really read Chinese that well but it's a magainze aimed for teenagers and younger adults. It's kind of a mix of Blender and Seventeen but for both males and females, plus minus all the risque stuff from Blender. All the latest trends, clothing and technology, and celebrity information.

..

Anyway, classes start tomorrow .. I need to go add Elementary Putongua II to my schedule. Some how the CUHK system messed up and didn't automatically add it to my schedule, bleh. So I'm only taking 9 credits right now ..

Watching a documentary called "The Age of Walmart" .. really interesting. I hate Walmart, so freaking ghetto .. but why do they sell shampoo so much cheaper? HAHA.

Lastly, here's a shot called "Traffic" well because it looks like a traffic light.



You drink it with a straw as fast as you can .. the orange is orange juice and the green is some kind of vodka, I have no clue what the red is.

Bryan's parents just bought him an iMac, .. I WANT A NEW COMPUTER!

posted by tiffany at 1/08/2006 11:30:00 AM | Permalink |
chatbox


music

weather

  • massachusetts
  • The WeatherPixie
    links

    Other Blogs:

    Shopping:

    credits

      Distributed by:

    Template copyright :
    V4NY
    Powered by :
    Powered by Blogger