profile

god favors no group. only religions do that.

name: tiff
age: 20
location: ludlow, massachusetts
school: university of massachusetts amherst
study: political science, economics, chinese
interests: procrastinating, playing, dreaming

#if i have the right to love, then i also have the right to choose how to love.

pictures

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from missxmoody. Make your own badge here.
travel itinerary

lala

January 22, 2006

Who's right? Who's wrong?

If someone were to ask you "你是哪國人?" .. What would you answer?

Your ethnial background? Or the place where you were born and grew up?

'Ni shi na guo ren?', in English, it basically means "Where are you from?"/"What country are you from?"

I told my mom that while in Taiwan a man asked me this and I answered, "我是美國人 (I am American)." I never thought twice about this answer, however my mom got realy upset about this. According to her I should have answered, "I'm Chinese" or "I'm Hong Kongese (in a direct translation of Chinese '我是香港國人').

Running through my mind is... I was born in the United States, I was raised in the United States, and my home is in the United States, I am American. Why would I tell someone I'm Chinese or Hong Kongese, when they're asking me in Mandarin where I'm from?

I understand my mom's point of view, in a way, as with most immigrant parents .. Yes, the child is raised and educated in one country but no matter what they are still 'Chinese/Japanese/Korean/etc etc' because this is their heritage and where their family is from. My family, like other Chinese-American families, always routed for the Chinese atheletes in the Olympics even if they were facing an American.

In the end, my question is ... Where do my loyalties belong? To the color of my skin or the place I call home? I'm not sure where my heart belongs.

This may seem a bit frivolous, but I know I'm not the only one who's struggling with this.

posted by tiffany at 1/22/2006 02:25:00 AM | Permalink |
chatbox


music

weather

  • massachusetts
  • The WeatherPixie
    links

    Other Blogs:

    Shopping:

    credits

      Distributed by:

    Template copyright :
    V4NY
    Powered by :
    Powered by Blogger