So to answer everyone's question .. Why have I been spending sixteen hours a day up on campus? Why have I been extremely busy and basically m.i.a.?
Besides from the 18 credits I'm taking this semester I've also been doing an internship for this student activist group, MassPIRG (Massachusetts Public Interest Research Group). Yeah, if you've known me long or good enough you've heard me bitch MassPIRG in the past. But this semester has been so different from my experience freshmen year.
This semester I am co-coordinating a campaign, the Hunger & Homelessness + Darfur campaign. I get to call the shots and not be burned by a coordinator, like freshmen year. Also, as much as a I believe text books should cost less, working on poverty is just so much more motivating and fulfilling. The people on my campaign, other members of MassPIRG, and my organizer are fucking awesome. Although it gets stressful I love it.
This past week was National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness week and its been crazy. We've fundraised over $400, has a discussion with Amherst/Granby State Rep. Ellen Story, a panel discussion on Darfur, and have tabled every day in the Campus Center. Along with the 'Make Poverty History' rally we had in October and almost every Saturday we volunteer at a local soup kitchen, Kate's Kitchen.
Here's some links to watch Ellen Story or the Darfur Panel, if you're interested.
So a lot of times I tell people I'm only doing this to add onto my law school application, but it's just really fulfilling to be doing something help this fucked up society I live in. The United States, one of the richest nations in the country, yet we still 14% of our people in poverty. Also, there is a genocide happening right now in Darfur yet there is nothing being done. All fucked up issues.
The only problem is, I get so caught up working for my internship that I neglect school work and well am kind of scared shitless that I will fail a few classes.
I'm planning on interning for MassPIRG again next semester, although an internship for UMASS's student legal services looks really appealing.
Plans..
January: Winter break, Hong Kong
February thru May: LSAT prep classes every Thursdays and a few Saturdays
March: Spring Break .. alternative spring break in New Orleans, gutting destroyed houses
Working on my schedule for next semester right now. Don't plan on taking any econ related classes, trying to finish off my primary major, political science, my Chinese minor, and the rest of general-ed requirements first, then I'll finish my secondary major. I have five classes picked out and registered, I just need one more.
Chinese 153 - Chinese Literature: Poetry
Chinese 155 - Chinese Myths & Legends
Political Science 252 - Globalization, Governance, & World Order
Political Science 270 - Ancient Political Thought
Political Science 359 - International Political Economy
Fifteen credits, there .. I want to take eighteen.
Thanksgiving break next week, so happy! Even if it's just a two day break, I really need it. I'm going to a Jolin Tsai concert on Thanksgiving, hopefully it's good because the ticket cost way too much.
I'll do another real update, hopefully soon, I have a lot of photos to upload.





